Tuesday, January 25, 2011

To become a better person takes conscious effort, time, and sacrifice. Do I really want to become a better person knowing that?


How inconvenient would it be to bear tackle one of these challenges for one week, and then move on to the next? To ride city transportation? Well then would Scooby Doo drop off YumYum at day care? Inconvenient. Volunteer? Great on paper, but who has time? Introspect? My type of introspect is wondering to myself if the clothes and undergarments I’m wearing are clean. Invest money? What money? Strive for balance? Who isn’t?

This was my first response to this above article. Yes, I realize it’s pessimistic and by no means is uplifting. So to prove myself wrong, and to change my life, one step at a time (is that even possible) I want to tackle one of these. The most convenient- but not, is the reducing of my ecological footprint. Scooby Doo and I have considered going down to one car, but that would mean getting up probably an hour earlier each day, just so I could drive him to work (he needs to be there earlier than I do). Inconvenient. What happens if I have a meeting, or he does? Or I forgot lunch and want to drive home? Walk home? What? Walk the one mile home? Seriously?

I know.  I need a reality check. It’s been too long since I went down to Mexico on a missions trip. It’s been too long since I’ve NEEDED something and not been able to have it. It’s been too long since I saw a homeless person. It’s been too long since I went hungry; even remotely felt a twinge of hunger without having a feast.

What is with me? Is it so easy to get into this rut of contentment and routine, living your life the easiest way possible? To become a better person takes conscious effort, time, and sacrifice. Do I really want to become a better person knowing that?


No comments:

Post a Comment