Monday, February 7, 2011

suggestions for back pain?

I don’t think I was 20 yet, and I had gone to the gym, as was my routine. I stepped into my Oldsmobile, a car my grandparents had graciously given to me as my first car. It was a tank, but I loved it. The leather seats and automatic/adjustable everything… I treasured it. There was a time I thought about “pimpin” it. But mostly it was just to get a chuckle. I turned on 103.9 and I put my car in reverse to back up, then drive to move forward. I drove past the gym, towards the exit by the bank. I glanced to my right as I was approaching the intersection and before I could compute any thought, a royal blue mini-van smashed into the passenger side of my vehicle going 45mph. He said he didn’t have time to brake.


It was three months of healing for me. A broken car, now totaled, but no broken bones. I had whiplash- which I thought at the time was worse. I still do. Because I turned my head to the right at the exact moment the car hit me, my neck and back were really messed up. At the time, I wasn’t in the habit of putting my seatbelt on in the parking lot, and would normally do it as I was leaving a place (but always wore it….) … just not while I was in the parking lot.


He said he was sorry and I called my Dad. Just a mile from my parents house, my Dad came and took care of everything. I spent the next few months of that summer in bed, resting. I would go out and about once in a while, but everything hurt so bad. I couldn’t work. I ended up getting a pain & sufferance compensation, but it wasn’t worth anything to me.


Every winter, normally my back, and sometimes my neck, acts up. When I was really in-shape, it didn’t affect me too much. When I was pregnant with YumYum, that was the first thing I noticed was the back pain. During my pregnancy with her the doctors realized I had a tilted uterus, and that explained by constant back pain when I was on my period – but it was nothing like being pregnant. Since pregnant with Baby #2, I threw out both my neck and my back. I had never thrown out my neck before. The pain was incredible. This time when I threw out my back a few weeks later, I went to my chiropractor the same day. I couldn’t afford to miss more than just that one day of work, and it was a Friday- so I had the weekend to rest. I didn’t think he would be able to do anything since I was so tight, but it helped so much. About a week later, the same spot starting spasming again, so this time Scooby Doo & I went together and we both got adjusted. He has been meaning to go for quite some time now. It helped, and its now  been five days, and my back is sore.


I know I’m out of shape, and as my tummy continues to grow I will continue to have terrible posture and compensate for the weight in ways that I shouldn’t. So there-in lies my struggle lately. My back. Massages are great, but they’re expensive. Heat & baths can comfort immensely, and ice helps the spasiming, but I need to do something for the problem rather than just the symptoms. My biological father ended his career early because of a back injury, and I wonder if he had a lot of back problems before that. I don’t know. But I don’t want to constantly be out of commission because of throwing my back out. It scares YumYum, and Scooby Doo has to work triple time taking care of me and YumYum and the house…. So I need to work out. To bike, to walk, to something.


Any other suggestions? Exercises? Thanks for being my sounding board. I’ve been stretching, and I’m thinking about doing some more yoga again.

2 comments:

  1. Some low-impact exercises are the kind that use the big ol' giant rubber band thingy (and they would be easy to do at home!!). Have you looked into that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yoga was great with my Kai pregnancy. I didn't do it with Eli and had bad lower back pain the last trimester. It even reared up during labor- drugs did not kill it (though labor was still less painful than Kai's drug-free birth).

    ReplyDelete