Did you know that at “about.com” features meals categorized by the number of ingredients? Yes, this is my favorite as I don’t like making a meal that requires four different ½ teaspoons or “pinches” of a spice that I have to go buy for $6.
So, last week I made these that were under the five ingredients or less category. The top was Scooby Doo’s favorite. I didn’t follow it complete right and now I have to remember how I messed up (I think I added the BBQ sauce in the beginning, ran out of the dry rub (which I doubled for you when I typed out the recipe below), and didn’t drain any of the juices. I then added an extra 1 ½ cups of BBQ sauce the last hour of cooking. They LITERALLY fell off the bone when you picked them up. A little "eh" for me, but again, Scooby Doo loved them)
But- if you want to try two easy, yummy summer recipes, here you go!
Crockpot Caribbean Ribs
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 9 hours
Total Time: 9 hours, 10 minutes
· 3 lbs. pork loin back ribs, cut into 4" pieces
· 2 tsp. pepper
· 1 tsp. allspice
· 2 tsp. ground mustard
· 2 tsp. salt
· ½ cup water
· 1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce (your favorite kind; 1 container)
1) Combine only the spices in a bowl. Rub ribs with spice mixture.
2) Place in 3-4 quart slow cooker and pour ½ cup water over.
3) Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until ribs are tender when pierced with a fork.
4) Remove ribs from slow cooker and discard cooking liquid.
5) Replace ribs in crockpot and add barbecue sauce.
6) Cover and cook on low for 1 hour.
7) Enjoy! Goes great with white rice and corn on the cob.
Shrimp Kabobs on a Salad Five Ingredient Meal
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 6 minutes
Total Time: 21 minutes
· 1 lb. uncooked medium shrimp (about 32) shelled and deveined (you can buy them like this)
· 2 red bell peppers, cut into bite-sized pieces
· 8 oz. pkg. button mushrooms, cleaned and trimmed, cut in halves
· 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing, divided
· 10 oz. pkg. mixed salad greens
1) In skillet, combine shrimp, red peppers, and mushrooms.
2) Grill or broil 4-6" from heat for 4-6 minutes until shrimp are cooked, turning every so often.
3) In salad bowl, combine salad greens with ½ cup Italian dressing.
4) Top salad greens with cooked vegetables from skillet.
5) Serve and enjoy! Works great as a solo dinner dish with a small light dessert.